Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What we are thankful for today ...

Annika is so funny.  I asked her what she is grateful for today and she said, "Daddy."  "Why Daddy?" I asked.  "Because he watched Wall-E with me and because he's so cute .... and because he tickles me."  To a 3-year old, those are very good, logical reasons to be grateful.
Gavin is grateful for child watch at the YMCA.  He loves playing there and I think he especially loves all of the attention he gets and the action going on around him.  Miss Holly I think is his favorite babysitter ... mine too.  
I am thankful for my car.  I know, this is a materialistic response, but I really do feel this way.  I always vowed never to have a mini van.  Oh, how foolish I was.  It took having a second child and a brother-in-law's opinions to convince me it was the best decision.  So, here I am at 31 years old (I won't be able to say that in 6 days) -- driving a Honda Oddessy.  I am infatuated -- automatic doors, leather seats, navigational system, camera when in reverse, seat warmers, 6 CD disc changer, 8 passenger seating, tons of space for junk in the back, and can't forget the DVD player.  I can go on and on.  I even love the wiper for the back window.  Before the Honda, Andy and I would argue about who has to drive.  Neither of us wanted to.  Now, we fight over who gets to drive.  If we have two cars somewhere, I even prefer taking the van with the screaming kids.  Now that is saying something.  The van was in the shop the other day and I really missed it.  Annika was literally in tears.  She is hooked as well.  It was very annoying to have the truck again.  After going from luxury to having to manually opening the doors, driving a manual stick shift, keeping a stroller in the bed of the truck in the rain, trying to stuff groceries inside, not having much space to maneuver and get kids strapped in, not having a smooth ride, and not having the buttons on the steering wheel to control music, etc.   Okay, I think that's enough ... you get the point.  So, yes, I am admitting my love for my mini van.  I am very grateful!  hmmm ... I need a name for my car... Something with flare ... sophistication ... Sasha?  Caroline?  Any suggestions?
Today Andy is thankful for ... sleep.  It's 8 p.m. and he put Annika to bed a half  hour ago.  I just started to hear snoring and I know it's not Annika.  He fell asleep too.  Good for him!   

5 comments:

  1. Oh and how I loved our suburban, Betsy, and cried when we had to give her up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since it's a Japanese car, how about naming her "Suki" or something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liala freaks out when our car goes in for service too! ha-ha. I am still not ready for the mini-van jump! You could name her Marabel Chandelier? That would be fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just loving all your posts on gratefulness. So cute! You could name her after royalty. It is a girl after all, it's so beautiful, I love Jessica's vote! Chandelier is the perfect last name for her! How about what Annika used to say "princess, dreams and magic?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same about our Odyssey (I told you so!) But you're smarter, it took me until the 4th child to realize the sheer beauty of the features. However, this dream model wasn't out then, so that doesn't count. I much prefer driving it even over the BMW - now that's saying something!

    ReplyDelete