Saturday, November 1, 2008

"Trick-or-Treat" ... "WHAT THE...?"

First, I have to say, I love Trick-or-Treating on Halloween because of the cute kids dressed-up and the pure joy on a kids faces when seeing the candy.  I love hearing the laughter outside and seeing how creative people are with decorating their houses.  I DO have a problem with a few things and I am using my blog to voice it.  
1.  I DO have a problem with kids being rude and grabbing candy out of the bucket.  When Andy asked, "What's your favorite?"  One boy took the liberty to help himself and say, "I like this one... and this one... and this one... and this one..." while grabbing 6 pieces himself.  Andy then tried to be courteous and say, "You need to leave some for the other kids."  He didn't move, just smirked.  Andy then demanded, "PUT THEM BACK." So the boy put 1 back and ran off.
2.  I am kind of okay with teenagers  trick-or-treating, but I really DO have a problem with those not wearing costumes, just street clothes.  When asked what they are dressed up as, they use their nationality or height as their answer.  Did you know a midget is 5'4" now?  
3.  I DO have a problem with a mom bringing her 10 year-old son to the door with THREE bags.  One for the son, then the mom said, "Don't forget the bag for your sister" as he shyly opened the bag.  And to top it off, the mom then held out her bag expectantly.  All three bags were pillowcases ... half-way full already.
4 And finally, I REALLY REALLY REALLY DO have a problem with 15-year olds girls (they told me their ages) coming to my door with my daughter and husband standing there and they are wearing fishnet stockings, 5-inch heels, and lingerie. You know you have gone too far (or not far enough) when there is more material in the wings on your back then the rest of your costume.  Needless to say, all three girls were shivering in 40-degree weather.  
So there you have it.  I think next time I will have a sign on my door saying, "No costume, no treat.  No clothes on, no treat.  Mom, buy your own candy.  Happy Halloween."

4 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU, but sure some politicians might say "we don't want to take away their right to choose." What is this world coming to, where are the values and morals this country was founded on, and where were their parents as they left the house? Sorry you hit my 'integrity' hot button this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is insane! I agree with you and luckily have not experienced any of it in our neighborhood. You should totally do the sign next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I am so with you! I am going to make a sign just like ones at Disney or whatever, that you have to be shorter than to get candy. But then you may exclude some... oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you!!! This year though, we only had 6 trick or treaters and they were all pretty nice, so no stories to tell.

    ReplyDelete