Wednesday, March 3, 2010

First Broken Bone

Yes, Gavin has his first fractured bone. Poor, little guy. He was running to greet Andy home from work last week and fell on the linoleum. After the x-rays, the doctor confirmed he has a toddler fracture. I guess it's common with kids that's why the term "toddler fracture". I shouldn't be surprised he broke a leg because he is always getting hurt. He has the nickname Taz for a reason (Tazmanian Devil). The fracture is a hairline, spiral fracture so it shouldn't take long to heal. He was in a splint for a week. Doctor took it off (x-ray showed no more fx) and after a day without it he was still having pain. So, the cast went on today. If you have ever had a child under 2 with a cast you have my sympathies. It has been very difficult because the poor little guy doesn't understand why it hurts or why this thing is on his leg. I feel so bad watching him limp and crawl. The first week was insane though. He HATED the splint and screamed practically 24/7. My head hurt 24/7 too. I am so grateful he is happier with the cast. (knock on wood) I don't think I could take 2 1/2 more weeks with his screaming.
Well, I better stop ignoring him and play cars. He keeps driving McQueen up and down my back. I have had better massages.

3 comments:

  1. Hope it heals quickly and mom gets some rest. His case is my favorite color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little guy! Hey, you should be pretty buff by the time it is healed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, don't knock Hot Wheels massages! I'll take what I can get! LOL Hope he feels better soon and restores your sanity. :)

    ReplyDelete